Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Stable, but not good...

I really do not have much progress to report today. Charlie has been pretty consistently stable the last few days. The steroids appear to be allowing his lungs to function better for the moment. He has his PICC line back in (this time in his head) and I think I mentioned in my last post that they got his Arterial line back in as well (both these had to be removed a while ago due to the presence of bacteria. There has still been problems over the last few days with air building up in his chest, which means that either there are new holes in the lungs or that the old ones have not yet healed.

Shannon and I had a pretty sobering discussion today with Dr. Martin, who is the head of Charlie's neonatal group. He relayed that although the steroids are doing their job of decreasing lung inflammation, the lungs themselves do not show any signs of improvement. Charlie's numbers are better at the moment, but regardless, his lungs continue to be in very bad condition. As Dr. Martin explained to us, the steroids are supposed to temporarily relieve the inflammation, so that the lung has a window to heal and be stronger when the inflammation returns as Charlie is weened off of the steroids. Dr. Martin said that he was very discouraged by the lack of improvement in the lungs since Charlie began the steroids about a week ago.

The hard part is that Charlie continues to be more active and alert, so much so that today they put him on yet another medication to keep him calm that essentially paralyzes his skeletal muscles. We asked Dr. Martin if all his activity and attempts to breath over the ventilator were good signs that he was doing better and he explained that it was a good sign that everything else is going pretty well with his body, but that if the lungs do not heal, the strength of the rest of his systems will be irrelevant. The ventilator that pumps oxygen into Charlie's lungs gives and oxygenates the blood gives the rest of his body the idea that everything is OK. So, he probably feels pretty well and consequently tries to breath on his own and generally seems much healthier. The really bad news is that Dr. Martin thinks Charlie's lungs are dangerously weak and have not yet shown signs of getting stronger. Even for a baby born at 26 weeks like he was, his lungs are much weaker than they should be. The ventilators are pretty hard on the lungs and are the only thing keeping Charlie alive at the moment, but his lungs just keep getting injured by the ventilator even at a sub-optimal, gentle input level.

Frankly, the summary of the news we received today is that Charlie is in a very dangerous place right now and if he does not start to make even some subtle progress with his lungs healing over the next 48 hours, Dr. Martin thinks that he might not make it. Also, he relayed that with how weak Charlie's lungs are, things could take a sharp turn in the wrong direction at anytime. Like I have said before, it is hard for me to make these posts when I have little or no silver lining to report, but I want all of you to know what's going on. I'm trying to not be unnecessarily pessimistic or frightening, but that is kind of what we were left with today after getting filled in on Charlie's condition. If Charlie's lungs begin to heal and can continue to do so, he does still have a shot, but Dr. Martin made it clear that his current state was pretty precarious. We are, of course, really sad about this but are still hoping for the best for Charlie today and for the rest of his life.

Here's a picture of him that my mom took last night:

14 comments:

The Martins said...

Thank you, Chuckie, for writing such a difficult post. We will be praying much and often for Charlie's lungs to strengthen.


Psalm 10:17 says,
"O LORD, you hear the desire of the afflicted; you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear."

And Psalm 18:30
"As for God, his way is perfect;
the word of the LORD is flawless.
He is a shield for all who take refuge in him."

Anonymous said...

Chuckie and Shannon
I feel like there is not much that I can say that will be of any encouragement, but know that we will continue praying often for Charlie. His life has and will always be in God's perfect hands. Charlie has been fearfully and wonderfully made.

Zephaniah 3:17
The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you, Chuckie, Shannon, and Charlie, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I talked to your mom the other day and told her to give me a call if you need anything. That offer is open for whenever you need it. She has my phone number. Thanks for keeping us updated even though I am sure that it is hard to write down all that you are going through.

Jenn Mellentine

Jess said...

Hi Shannon and Chuckie,

Keep your chins up even though its really hard. I really believe that Charlie can somehow read how you feel. Feel confident in your boy and he'll have the strength to fight. So many people up here in Seattle are rooting for him and praying for all of you. We love you guys and you're in our thoughts every day.

Love, Jess

Anonymous said...

He is such a beautiful baby. We wish you guys the very best outcome at this difficult time ... stay strong for baby Charlie.

Love -- the Rich Family

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us updated Chuckie. Charlotte and I continue to pray for healing for Charlie and strength and endurance for you and Shannon. If you need anything please let us know.

-Kevin

jenny block said...

Chuckie, Shannon, and little man Charlie,
We are continuing to pray for you all. We are asking the Lord to heal Charlie's lungs and that there would be great improvement to be seen especially over the next few days. Charlie has amazed us over his first three + weeks of life with all that he has overcome and we have hope that he, with the Lord's help, will continue to do so!!!
Thank you Chuckie and Shannon for continuing to keep us all updated considering how difficult it must be to put into words. We appreciate being able to know what to pray for!
Isaiah 41:10
"Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."
Love, Joshua, Jenny, and Levi

Anonymous said...

Shannon and Chuckie,
I'm constantly thinking about you guys and hope for the best for Charlie. He is such a beautiful baby. He really does look like a little fighter. I can't imagine what you guys are going through right now but I'm sure it's comforting to know that so many people are pushing for Charlie's full recovery. Thank you so much for having the energy to keep us all updated on his progress.
Jill

Liz said...

This week, have been put on bed rest myself at 28 weeks with my second pre-term labor pregnancy. I will use the next 48 hours of my bed rest to pray HARD for your little man. You have a lot of folks thinking of and praying for you, those who know you and those who don't (me included). I will pray we are all heard and that what is best for Charlie may be provided.

Speli said...

Hi Shannon and Chuckie,

This is JoAnne's mom. I am so sad to hear about what you are going through as a family. You have been in my prayers and will continue to be there.
It may seem hard to understand at times like these, but God never allows anything to happen without a purpose, and I would so much encourage you to seek His direction and wisdom.
In Mark 9, a father seeks Jesus' help when his child is ill and asks Him that if He can, He would have pity on them and help them.
Jesus replies:
"'If you can'? Everything is possible for him who believes."
Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"
May your belief in Him be strengthened and may your courage be strong.

Love,
Elke & Nick Speliopoulos

P.S. Charlie is a cutie (even with all the tubes) - but then I wouldn't have expected anything else!

Rob Withem said...

Chuckie and Shannon-

We were on our knees for you last night, seeking the Lord that He might perform a miracle on Charlie's lungs.

Much love, Rob & Amy

Gail said...

Dear Chuckie and Shannon
Paul and I have been reading your postings daily. What a wonderful testament of your love and devotion to little Charlie. We pray daily for healing for Charlie's lungs and strength for you both during this difficult time.
Love,
Paul & Gail

Anonymous said...

My heart is heavy for you. We are continuing to pray knowing that God loves your son greatly. Our prayers include your parents as well, we know this is hard on them as well. Candee

Anonymous said...

Dear Duff Family,
We pray that God puts His arms around you and shelters each of you with His love and care. May you feel His abiding presence and may Charlie feel God's presence, too. With Love, The von Lehes

Anonymous said...

Hello -

I was sent your link by someone that knows you so I can March (I am raisign funds and participating on the March for Babies event on 4/19) and pray for your little Charlie.

The Lord is good and his goodness endures forever.