I talked to Dr. Martin this morning and his words were exactly that. Inching forward. He also said that Charlie is where he had hoped he would be after the last 48 hours. So, Charlie's condition is slowly becoming less and less precarious. The x-rays have shown slow improvement in the lungs, especially the right lung. The left lung has continued to be overinflated, but that too is slowly subsiding. The doctors have been able to slowly lower the ventilator settings and still get acceptable blood gas results, which means less pressure on and less possible damage to Charlie's weak lungs. Regardless of the continued lung weakness, the lungs are definitely working better (at least at oxygenating), because Charlie is currently being ventilated with "room air" meaning that they are not needing to supplement his ventilator with extra oxygen. Dr. Martin says this is a good sign, but more importantly it may give them a chance to further reduce Charlie's ventilator settings.
The only setback during the last 2 days is that the doctors now think Charlie may be developing a fungal infection. More than likely this is occurring because the antibiotics and steroids give the fungus an ideal, non-competitive environment in which to thrive. It is very common, consequently, for preemies like Charlie who are on those other medications to develop fungal infections. So, although it isn't a positive development, the doctors are not surprised by it and seem pretty confident that anti-fungal antibiotic medication they started him on today should clear things up quickly if in fact it is a fungal infection.
So, we've made it through the 48 hours with subtle improvement, which is really the best Dr. Martin was hoping for. It doesn't mean we are even close to being out of the woods, but we've inched a couple of inches closer. I'll try to post again soon with more details, but I wanted to quickly share the good news.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I am so happy to hear that Charlie is doing better. I think of you three often and keep you in my prayers.
Keri
In light of the post you made on Tuesday, this is wonderful news and those inches will soon add up to miles of progress! The new picture taken by Grandma Dorie is just adorable!
Best wishes to all of you for staying strong!
Rhonda Dimmick and everyone at Farnam
Thank you for the update. I am so happy to hear of this progress, and will keep praying for Charlie's little lungs and all other aspects of his health. I am so thankful for Charlie's medical team and everything they are doing, and I will keep praying for wisdom for them.
Charlotte
YEAHHH! I'm so happy to hear the good news! I'll keep hoping for more inches forward.
that IS good news! Thank you for sharing this answer to prayer- progress!
I hope it is an encouragement to you to know there are SO many people (many you don't even know) who are praying for this little guy!
One step at a time, right?
Your posts are very much appreciated. My family and I can now pray more specifically for Charlie, but we also pray for clear thought and restful sleep for the two of you. God bless your little family.
Christian Borrmann
That is great news! One inch at a time really does add up to great progess. I bet Charlie can't wait to snuggle with everyone that loves him. Stay positive ! ! !
Tracy Young at Farnam
I read your posts often and am awed by your strength and inspired by one tiny little miracle. Hang in there Shannon and Chuckie and I continue to pray for Charlie and your whole family.
Jane at Deluxe
great news, guys!! you've all constantly been in my thoughts the past few weeks. my family's praying for all of you.
much love,
will h
Post a Comment