Charlie is doing very well and is taking more and more of his feeding directly from the bottle everyday. The speech therapists (who also help with feeding) did a "swallow study" on Charlie and decided that he would benefit from having his milk thickened a bit. It has really helped and he is now taking almost 50% of his food from the bottle. Once he gets to 100% he gets to come home! He is also down to .1 liter of oxygen at 100% which is what he'll be on at home. The doctors gave Charlie a test run with no extra oxygen at all, but he only lasted a few hours before his saturation was low enough that they had to put him back on it. It is somewhat possible though that he may not be on oxygen as long as we previously thought.
Charlie is closing in on 7lbs and continues to be healthy. The eye doctor still hasn't completely ruled out surgery, but things are looking good for Charlie's general eye health. I am sure there are things that I am forgetting at the moment, but I wanted to get up a quick post with some pictures because I am so behind.
"Hi!"

"Hmm... where's my shirt?"

"I don't like baths!"

"My bad, I DO like baths."

"Let's get that bottle going, eh?"

Charlie with Mommy in his new room (at the hospital)

"Sorry Charlie, still no iPod connectivity"
19 comments:
We are SO glad to hear things continue to go well! We can't wait until you guys are able to take him home with you! :-) Thanks for the update and the pictures! He is ADORABLE! -Carley and Bryan
What a sweet boy! Thanks for the pictures and the updates. I just know he will be home soon~ Kathy Biederbeck
Wow seven pounds is just amazing! The new pictures are just darling and we so like seeing mom and dad in the pictures with little Charlie now too! Next we'd like to see some pictures posted with Gramps and Gram!
We are so thankful you are all doing well!
Rhonda Dimmick and Farnam
Thanks so much for the update. We still check the blog site every day. He's a beautiful baby and we're happy to hear how much he is thriving every day. The pictures are awesome.
Warmest regards,
John and Kris
Holy smokes Chuckie & Shannon!!!
You've got one cute baby on your hands! I cant believe he is 7 lbs! I cant believe this is the same baby!! Great news!
Shannon...next time you are out this way at the Studio...come by the house, or get my cell from Bob...I would love to see you!
Love ~ Kate ,Bob & Dino
Looking forward to your post telling us he's home! Thanks for updating Chuckie.
-Kevin
Oh my, I love the chubby baby! I'm with Kate--it is hard to believe this is the same baby! He looks SO good! Now if he can only get the iPod going..
It is such a thrill to see Charlie looking like the darling (and chubby!) little boy that he is, and not hooked up to so many tubes and probes! We will continue to pray that he will come home soon.
Also, when he was born, he was one fifth of Nikolay's weight, and now he is nearly half. He's gaining on him!
Love,
The Markovs
Chuckie & Shannon, I commented back in April but I'm not sure it went through. We had a baby girl April 8th who had respiratory failure and had to go on a heart/lung bipass machine called ECMO. A little different than Charlie but I know the road you've been on and are still on. I've read your blog and cried with you many times. Caitlyn has been home now for over two months and is doing great. Charlie will get off the feeding tube, Caitlyn gradually increased her bottle feedings, it seemed like it took forever but she finally took all her feedings through the bottle. So much of what you went through hit so close to home for us. God is good though. Praise God she and Charlie are both doing so well. The time in the hospital will soon be a faint memory that you won't even believed happened.
Patty (Gillespie) Pratt
ps tell you mom and dad hi for me!
It is wonderful to see Charlie looking so plump and healthy. I just went back and took a peek at all the pictures in previous posts and it's incredible to see how far he's come! We contine to think of you and pray for you daily. Can't wait til he can come home. We appreciate yout posting such adorable pictures and updating us Chuckie!
Darling and so chubby...love to see that chub on preemies!
Hi Chuckie and Shannon,
We are so happy that things are going well for Charlie. We don't have kids...does that mean we can visit?? Can't wait to see you guys again. You are still in our thoughts and prayers.
Love
Walsh's
So happy Charlie is coming along so amazingly. I've been keeping up on his progress since Wendy (my daughter ~ yes I am Jeremiahs mother in law!!) told me of this tiny baby that was born and that I should pray for you all. Looks like many prayers have been answered!! He is a cutie and I hope that you will soon be able to take him home and he can be completely yours!!! What an ordeal all 3 of you have been through!!! God bless you all!!! All the best, Evelyn
Yea Charlie! I am so happy to see him in his new chubbly little figure :) Thanks for posting more photos. He is so cute! I am so happy to read that he is up to 50% from the bottle and less reliant on the oxygen. It won't be long now before your little monkey can enjoy his jungle room.
I love his double chin it is adorable. I can't wait to hold him, he is sooo cute.
Jodi
He looks amazing!
~Zane and Kids :)
Good news is great!
Hope to see you all soon ...
Love & prayers
Grandma Dee & Papa
Wow what an adorable boy!! I was so happy to read this post. I can't wait until he comes home... I want to take his pictures!
Dear Chuckie,
Firstly: Happy belated birthday! I hope you were appropriately feted.
Secondly: You, sir, are a foul-weather friend. Lots of updates when times are rough, but now that he's growing and developing and no doubt looking increasingly chubbalicious and adorable, and there's nothing. Radio Silence. BOOOOO.
Thirdly: Regarding Charlie's first year at home - I'd love for you and Shannon to call/get together with our friends whose daughter Maggie was born at 24 weeks. They have some words of wisdom for navigating this time - something between alarmism and a germ free-for-all. Please let me know if you'd like this, and I'll pass along your contact info.
Post a Comment