Charlie had another swallow study done and I snapped some pictures. He is so cooperative! The study showed that he is still aspirating thin liquids; we will continue to thicken his foods and repeat the study in 3 months. The swallow study is so neat to watch; I feed him barium (which shows up on x-ray) in different consistencies and we can watch an x-ray "movie" of his swallow to see how the liquid travels down his throat. I thought he looked so cute in the chair. I felt bad feeding a hungry little boy non-food in his bottle :( but other than that it was pretty fun. We get to see one of the therapists we saw in the NICU and it is so neat to show off how much Charlie has grown! In general Charlie loves to see old friends and meet new people but he is just starting to get stranger anxiety.
Charlie has started eating baby cereal. We are going really slow with solids for a few reasons but mostly we really didn't want to push him at all. Preemies like Charlie often have oral aversions and feeding problems that last well into childhood. We really wanted to make sure Charlie was ready and interested in eating. Charlie is doing really well with his cereal, he seems to like it! We go to an outpatient speech therapist that helps us with feeding and we are going to get another feeding/speech therapist that will come to our house. There is such a difference in the therapy that we get in our home versus out. It works out well to do both, but it does mean that we have lots of appointments. Chuckie and I like all the many ideas we get to help Charlie overcome any issues he is having. Charlie is currently caught up to his adjusted age of 7 months!
6 comments:
I have loved catching up on your blog. He is too cute!!!
yay for another illness free month charlie!!! sorry to hear you have a touch of something shannon. i can't believe what a trooper charlie is-sitting like a big boy for his swallow study!...and eating big boy food. it's so great to be caught up on his busy, but exciting life!!! we'll be prayin for another illness free month. love-the blocks.
Wow charile is getting so big and he is so darn cute :) Can't wait till the end of RSV season so we can get the babies together to play!
How wonderful that we are having a relatively illness free winter in the valley. Let's hope it continues. I am so happy for you that Charlie is doing well. As it turns out our family is also watching the RSV thing as we await corrective heart surgery in the coming months for our precious granddaughter, now 7 weeks old.
Jane Bennett (Deluxe)
Great Photos ... thanks for posting them. The sink bath is my favorite.
Jodi
I can't believe how big he is! He looks likes he's getting too big for that sink!
Post a Comment